|Pages from the April 26, 1969, dedication program for the new science center and residence hall on the Bloomsburg campus.|
50 years ago today, the Hartline Science Center and Elwell Residence Hall were dedicated. Hartline, which opened that January, culminated many years of work to once again have a state-of-the-art science classroom and laboratory facility on campus, which had first occurred with the opening of Science Hall in 1907. Elwell, which opened the preceding fall, was built on two empty lots the then Bloomsburg State Normal School (BSNS) purchased in 1888. For nearly 80 years this land had sat vacant of all but grass, trees, flower beds, and the occasional garden planted by children from the campus training school. It now held the largest dormitory on campus, one built to hold the growing student body of Bloomsburg State College in the 1960s.