Thursday, November 29, 2018

Medical imaging guides career path to radiology


Emily Reynolds has always been fascinated by how the internal human body works, an interest that’s led her to a future in radiology courtesy of Bloomsburg University’s medical imaging program.

“The fact we’re able to use technology to find a diagnosis and conduct a form of treatment has always been intriguing to me,” said Reynolds, a senior medical imaging major. “Modern day medicine is improving left and right, and the use of imaging and technology is advancing and becoming incorporated more so each day. I want to be a part of these advances and encounter the hands-on experiences with patients.”

This summer Reynolds began her 18-month clinical experience at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, which will complete her requirements for a bachelor’s in medical imaging. The next step will be sitting for the national registry exams.

“Johns Hopkins was my chosen clinical option, because it’s well-renowned as one of the top teaching hospitals in the country,” Reynolds said. “It offers an intense, challenging program I feel will help me achieve my long-term career goals. They offer a diverse and unique course and clinical setting, when compared to most other clinical programs. Once I complete their program, I will be specialized in various fields within sonography.”

Medical imaging technologists are allied health professionals with expertise in operating imaging equipment and preparing patients for various diagnostic and treatment procedures. Specialties may include radiography, nuclear medicine, sonography, radiation therapy, cardiovascular technology, magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, positron emission tomography and mammography.

“My favorite aspect of the imaging program here at BU has been the extremely helpful and well-educated professors and staff,” Reynolds said. “Everyone here has been very helpful in the success of my career so far. No matter how many questions I had or if I needed anything explained to me from a different point of view, my professors were there to help guide me in the right direction.”
Reynolds added, “They created challenging coursework, which has made me more prepared in problem solving aspects of my clinical experience thus far. I’ve been able to easily retain all the information learned from the many courses I have taken over the past two years at BU. This was extremely helpful in the preparation for my internship and clinical interviews.”

According to Reynolds, BU’s medical imaging program prepared her well for the Johns Hopkins clinical. “BU provided a challenging program that taught me all the valuable information I’ll need to begin in my clinical,” Reynolds said. “It has proficiently expanded my medical vocabulary, amplified my ability to understand professional diagnoses and prognoses, extended my ability to understand the workings of the human body so I can more easily apply my findings to solve medical problems. It has bettered my interpersonal skills when encountering patients and fellow co-workers. BU has provided many opportunities for me to gain experience and knowledge about my career through internships, open houses, mock interviews, seminars and many more hands-on opportunities.”

HuskyUnleashed MedicalImaging ScienceTechnology JohnsHopkins clinical ProfessionalU sonography radiology
~from http://bloomsburgu.tumblr.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment